SUNLIGHT! What happens when you put a plant in a space with no sunlight? It begins to deteriorate because it can’t absorb the nutrients it needs from the sun’s rays. Like plants, people need sunlight – and plenty of it.
But not all sunlight is created equal. From 7-11am the sun emits a natural blue light wavelength – those are the ideal times to be outdoors. The blue light wavelength suppresses the release of Melatonin, which is the hormone our brain produces to regulate sleep. When Melatonin is suppressed, we have more energy during the day and benefit from a deeper and more restful sleep at night. Sunlight has also been shown to reduce anxiety and depression, as well as increase energy and productivity.
What’s more? Vitamin D is crucial for proper functioning of your immune system, which is your body’s first line of defense against infections such as the coronavirus that causes COVID-19.
5 BENEFITS OF MORNING SUNLIGHT ESPECIALLY DURING THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC
- Naturally Boosts Vitamin D – keeping immune systems healthy to protect against respiratory illnesses like the new coronavirus that causes COVID-19
- Reduces Symptoms of Depression
- Reduces Anxiety & Stress – especially during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Regulates Sleep Cycle
- Increases Energy & Enhances Productivity
4 TIPS FOR USING SUNLIGHT TO IMPROVE YOUR QUARANTINE MOOD
- Avoid windows and wearing sunglasses, glasses or contact lenses: These all block the potential of receiving the full benefits from the sunlight.
- Physically Be Outside for 45+ Minutes: Enjoy your morning coffee and breakfast outdoors. You can also go for a light jog, walk, or even read a book in the shade. The most important part is to be outdoors. If you can fit in more than 45 minutes of morning sunlight, that is even better!
- Protect Your Skin: Sunlight is great nutrition for our brains. However, it can be harmful for our skin. Make sure to apply sunscreen and wear a hat.
- Substitute for Natural Sunlight: Sometimes it’s not possible to be outside – like during the COVID-19 quarantine. Artificial blue lights can be a substitute, not a replacement, for natural sunlight. Be sure to purchase a light that emits a wavelength of 450nm-500nm, like plant or aquarium lights.
The MIND ALGN TMS team is no stranger to the benefits of sunlight. In fact, it’s an integral part of our 6-Step custom-tailored process leveraging personalized Magnetic eResonance Therapy (MeRT) based on TMS (Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) to provide effective alternative treatments for neurological issues including safe treatment for autism, ADHD, and drug addiction. Visit mindalgn.com to learn how to get started with TMS from The Leader in TMS and MerT. The MIND ALGN TMS Therapy Team Serves Maryland, Virginia and DC.
Please seek help from a medical professional if your mental health is interfering with your ability to function daily. This advice is not to be used for any treatment or diagnostic purposes. This is only an information resource and not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice. National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255